Facts about New Zealand
• New Zealand features two main islands, the North and the South Island.
• The capital city of New Zealand is Wellington while the largest city is Auckland.
• The population of New Zealand is estimated to be around 4.9 million in 2017.
• The official spoken languages of New Zealand are English, Te Reo Maori, and Sign language.
• Maori are the indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand.
• The term ‘Kiwi’ is also used as a nickname for a New Zealander.
• Dairy products are New Zealand’s highest earning exports.
• All Blacks is the name given to the national rugby team.
• Before international games, the All Blacks carry out a ‘Haka’ which is a ‘war cry’.
• Baldwin Street, in Dunedin, is the world’s steepest street.
MORE facts about New Zealand
• The longest place name in the world is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, a hill in Hawkes Bay.
• Blue Lake, in Nelson Lakes National Park, has the clearest water in the world.
• There are no land snakes, native or introduced, in NZ.
• The first man to climb Mt. Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary, was a Kiwi.
• The Māori name for NZ, Aoetaroa, means ‘land of the long white cloud’.
• Kiwifruit were originally called Chinese gooseberries.
• Ninety Mile Beach is actually only 90 kilometres long.
• New Zealand produces 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year per person.
A sample 8 Day Itinerary
Day 1 10:00 Welcome to New Zealand Breakfast Mt. Eden lookout Auckland Domain 13:00 Parnell Lunch Mission Bay Movenpick Sky Tower Dinner 20:00 Return to accomodation
Day 3 06:30 Kerosene Creek
(Old Walotapu Rd)
Breakfast at hotel Check-out 09:30 Kuirau Park 10:30 Tamaki Maori Village 13:00 Lunch aMAZEme 16:00 Drive to Taupo 17:00 Huka Falls 18:00 Check in at accomodation 19:00 Lake Taupo Dinner
Day 5 09:00 Breakfast 10:00 Mona Vale Gardens Botanic Gardens Punting on the Avon River Empty White Chairs 13:00 Lunch 14:00 14:00 Cave Rock Banks Peninsula 19:00 Dinner
Day 7 07:00 Travel to Milford Sound
(Prepare packed lunch)
12:00 Arrive in Milford Sound 12:45 Cruise Milford 15:00 Return to Queenstown Make stops on the way back Homer tunnel (Don’t feed Kea birds!), Milford Sound Highway, Lookouts, Creeks 23:00 Arrive in Queenstown
Day 2 07:00 Breakfast 08:00 Trip to Matamata 11:00 Hobbiton Movie Set 12:45 Drive to Rotorua 14:00 Check-in hotel 14:30 Skyline Gondola & Luge 16:30 Blue & Green Lakes 17:00 Redwoods Forest Dinner
Day 4 09:00 Breakfast Check-out 10:00 Drive to Auckland 13:00 Queen Street Viaduct Wynyard Quarter Souvenir shopping Lunch Newmarket 19:00 Flight to Christchurch Check in at accomodation
Day 6 08:00 Breakfast Check out 09:00 Drive to Lake Tekapo 12:00 Arrive in Lake Tekapo Church of the Good Shepherd Lunch 14:00 Drive to Wanaka 16:30 Lake Wanaka 17:00 Drive to Queenstown 18:00 Check in at accomodation Dinner
Day 8 08:00 Breakfast Check out 09:30 Shotover Jet 10:45 Botanical Gardens Patagonia Chocolate 12:00 Lunch 13:00 Travel to Arrowtown Gold panning 17:00 Flight back to hometown